In the English language there is a saying: “When one door closes, another one opens.”
In the Spanish language, the version of this saying is much more optimistic, and it translates as: “When one door closes, hundreds open.”
These sayings exist because in Feng Shui, as in life, doors represent opportunities. Let’s explore the Feng Shui of doors.
What’s in a Door?
When doors appear in dreams or in story books, they are often associated with mystery. You wonder what a door might lead to — something good or something bad. Going through the threshold of a door is also symbolic of making a decision, of taking a step forward towards a chosen future.
Problems with Doors are Bad Feng Shui
When a door doesn’t close properly, when it creaks, or when it gets stuck, irritability and uncertainty increase. This is true for outside doors, inside doors and even doors pertaining to cabinets or pieces of furniture.
Problems with doors, in Feng Shui, translate as problems with one’s relationship to opportunities.
To take advantage of opportunities, you need to be at the right place, at the right time. When doors open and close smoothly and noiselessly, it becomes easier to have a positive attitude towards opportunities.
What Doors Provide
Doors provide separation between the outside and the inside, and separation between areas in the home that have different functions.
Doors also provide privacy, and the opportunity to withdraw from the world and be only with yourself.
Good Feng Shui for Doors
To make sure that all doors in your home are creating good Feng Shui do the following:
- Give the front door a fresh coat of paint, stain, or varnish (depending on the material) and make sure it has an attractive color, so that it is noticeable from the street.
- Oil door hinges regularly to prevent creaking sounds.
- Change hinges when doors have sagged and don’t close properly or get stuck.
- If a door gets stuck, every time you use it, it is a source or irritation.
- A door that creaks is a common feature in scary movies — for good reasons!
- A door that doesn’t close properly can be a source of drafts.
What memories do doors evoke for you? Share below with a “reply,” or join the Facebook Group: Feng Shui Journeys (you need to be logged in to your Facebook account to be able to do join the group)
In the Facebook group Feng Shui Journeys I will share some more of my experiences with doors. I hope you will also share what doors mean to you, and how you plan to Feng Shui your doors.